September 23, 2008

floodgates

i think i have reached new and impressive levels of exhaustion.

much in keeping with the way i deal with most aspects of my life, i've managed, thus far, to compartmentalize my law school career. meaning that, in the general day to day sense of things, i try not to look too far in advance. the idea is that today, tomorrow (and perhaps even the rest of the week) is far too much to deal with as it is, so lets just shove everything else that's going to happen into little compartments in the attic of my mind. it's sort of like christmas decorations; i'll get them out when the season gets closer.

and this method has worked for me fairly well these last 2 and half years (though there have been moments of mental incapacitation where the compartments broke down and all my christmas decorations came spilling out). we don't like to talk about those moments.

HOWEVER. last night, i made the gargantuan mistake of attempting to organize the rest of my semester. this came up because i have a few things to look forward too. i'm going to visit seattle for the weekend in october, M.'s moving down to the bay in october, she and i are going to the carrie underwood concert in november, and both A. and K. are visiting in november for A.'s bday and the premiere of the twilight movie.

so yay! things to look forward to! BUT, then i had to look at the weeks in between those days to see how they would all fit in to my schedule. well. i should have just jumped off a cliff and saved myself the trouble.

between trial practice (i.e. coming up with and "performing" a mock trial), legal drafting practice exams, work work work, revising and finishing my writing requirement, making some headway on my hawaiian independence article, and taking the MPRE's, i somehow have to find the time to actually breathe.

i mean, october is okay. i'm gone the first weekend, have a work thing to do the second weekend, and the rest is generally unbooked. so i guess i can make any real moves i was planning on making for my writing requirement during that time. although i'll also be working on my trial practice case as well. and hopefully i'll come back from seattle reenergized rather than wishing i wasn't here.

november, however... well, november just blows. the first weekend is the MPRE, which means that before than i have to somehow find the time to study for it. because, after all, it's just the bar, right? the next weekend (i think, though i may have my scheduling messed up), i'll be busy both saturday and sunday during the day watching our final mock trials for trial practice. hopefully, i'll be able to convince my "firm" to do our trial that past thursday (aka, the first day of trials), because saturday night is also the carrie underwood concert. which, i know, is lame and something i can easily not go to, but i've already got the tickets and convinced M. to go to with me, so i'm sort of committed, you know? anyway, the next week K. and A. both get here, we're gonna watch the movie, and are supposed to go to the cal v. stanford game, although i can't at the moment find an extra ticket, so we'll see. and the weekend after that is thanksgiving, which means that my final deadlines (for perhaps everything school related aside from ethics, which might be due earlier, gotta check...shit) is just around the corner. by this point, my writing requirement should be all but done.

and so i'm just a little stressed.

this is why i have compartmentalized my life.

and lets not discuss the fact that my grandpa's been in the hospital for the passed week, and my brother in law was in an accident last week as well.

PLUS, i'm disenchanted with the bay area, am missing washington like crazy, and my bf doesn't really want to move back there. which is understandable. he feels about there the way i feel about here. but then, where does that leave us?

so yeah. stressed.

someone give me a damn cookie.