December 1, 2008

hello december, it's been a while

it is officially the last month of what's probably been the most difficult year of my life. i've been waiting for december to arrive for a while now, and can only breathe a sigh of relief now that it's finally here.

what i'm looking forward to this month:
  • going home, obviously! i'll be in hawaii from dec. 17th-30th this year, which will give me the much-needed vacation i've been looking forward to, and will allow me to get my fill of my boondock-y home town until next time.
  • seeing my new niece for the first time! she's 6 months old and i haven't met her yet!
  • playing with my nephew, who seems to realize his agency more and more each time i see him. why can't they stay 2 years old forever?
  • christmas shopping! we need to stimulate our economy people! :)
  • visiting with my grandparents. probably what i'm looking forward to most, even if it'll most likely mean playing hours upon hours of gin rummy. i miss them like absolute crazy. i've also been wanting to get my family history/stories out of my grandfather, so maybe i'll find time to video record him while i'm there.
  • watching the bf bond with my dad over throw-netting and spear fishing. it'll be a sight to see, and i'm bringing my camera.
  • reading. i've got a book list as long as my arm. see it on the right hand side of my blog.
  • reclaiming the tan i've lost somewhere along the way.
  • finally finishing my article! it's been months and months in coming, and it'll finally be ready for publication! woo!
  • ending what's been the worst semester of my academic career.
  • christmas! i love absolutely everything about christmas. i've got lists ready to go and cookies ready to bake.
  • writing for fun. i plan on sitting on the patio and writing till my hands fall off.
  • the beach. ohhhhh, the beach. ocean so blue it looks fake. sand so warm it burns your feet. *SIGH*
  • hilo rain. i know this seems like the exact opposite from the last one, but the fact is that hilo is one of the rainiest places in the united states, with quillayute/forks, WA coming in next of course. it's just that it rains at night (every night). so you go to the beach during the day, then fall asleep to a storm. there's nothing like it.
  • seeing some of the bffs for the first time since lehua's wedding in june. it's tradition to go to this italian place and order the same exact thing every single time.
  • seeing my mom. i don't know if you can ever miss anyone the way you miss your mother.

just 17 days and counting!

happy december everyone!


also, and kind of randomly, i don't know if i've mentioned this before but i think the Lord of the Rings movies are some of my favorite movies ever, which is saying a lot considering how hard it is for me to pick a favorite anything. i decided this over the weekend, since tbs has been playing the movies over and over, and we (meaning me, the bf, and the bf's bff) have been watching them. not only do those movies give me the opportunity to see new zealand again, which can't be discounted (my bf and i met and started dating while studying abroad in new zealand), but they are just ridiculously well-made films.

i've read the books (the hobbit through the silmarilian). i love the books. and i think the movies were such clever adaptations of one of the best stories ever written. i mean, tolkien created an entire world. how do you do that? it's amazing.

damn, now i need to add that series to the book list again...

and finally, i think bella's lullaby is growing on me. put it on repeat and it's great study music. still not sure if i like it as that specific song though...

2 comments:

Sophia said...

woah! I'm going home Dec 17-31st! And I'm going to see my new "niece" (actually my cousin's new baby, but my cousin is like another sister) for the first time, and my grandfather and mom and old friends and of course christmas shopping and reading, and also being glad that this semester is over. :D

Ashley said...

I love the Lord of the Rings movies. Have you seen the extended editions? They're totally worth it. I actually don't like Tolkien's writing much, but I'm so impressed by his stories and the worlds he creates. I mean, who writes languages?

And, yay for December!

Post a Comment