January 12, 2009

old habits die...never.

i try not to overwhelm myself. i really do. and i would definitely never call myself an over-achiever. at least, not seriously.

but somehow i always manage to commit myself to a million different things all at once. and the semester hasn't even started yet! i'm just incapable of passing up a good opportunity. you know that saying, "take advantage of (insert whatever here)"? yeah, i took that to heart. i take advantage of everything, even when it can't possibly fit in to my schedule.

for example, during the spring semester of my first year of law school i hit full panic mode because my resume was absolute crap. i had no legal experience, only one actual job to list as work experience, and that was it. so what did i do? i applied for three internships that summer. i got all three internships that summer. i took all three internships that summer. and ever since then things have been sort of just...growing.

so now i'm simultaneously editing and publishing two articles, taking a full load of classes, working (probably), and planning a symposium at a law school i don't even go to.

it's really almost laughable, this thing that i do to myself. go ahead, you can laugh. it's ok.

and this isn't to say i'm not completed jazzed about all of this. it just leaves little time to do the things i wanted to do for myself as opposed to for my phantom future career. but i refuse to let those things fall on the wayside. i will do things for me this time around. i will not lose sight of myself again.

and just to prove it, i'm touring and joining a gym on wednesday.

3 comments:

Sophia said...

oh man, good luck!!! and good call on the gym. exercising definitely lowers stress levels even if you don't cut back on your workload!

ca-e-me said...

gym indeed. there's not necessarily anything wrong with committing to a million things. but i think they tend to snowball and then sometimes you forget those core things you really wanted to do way back at the beginning. and the only person who can really hold you accountable on those things is yourself. so don't forget!

Ashley said...

I'm the same way. I don't have a hard time saying no in general, but when it comes to opportunities like this, I always say yes. I'm currently wishing I'd said no to a few things.

And, you sure sound like an overachiever to me!

Post a Comment