June 3, 2009

a girl can dream

i've found myself thinking of dream jobs lately, mostly because i've just graduated and am on the verge of having to find a job myself. barbri (which is a course you take in preparation for the bar exam) started just last week and i'm already wondering exactly what i was thinking when i signed on. why am i taking the california bar? no, let me rephrase: why am i taking the most difficult bar exam in the country when i'm not even sure if i want to be a lawyer?

because i'm scared i don't have any other options?

because i'm too stubborn to stray from the path i've already laid out for myself?

because i don't know what else i'd do?

how about a strange, mish-mash of all of the above.

i'm terrified that i don't have the skills to do any other job. this is lunacy, i realize that. i'm a lawyer for crying out loud. i've completed one of the most rigorous studies out there, and have work experience in both the public interest and private sector. my research and writing skills are pretty decent, and i can get great recommendations if and when i need them. all of this i know, but still i worry. am i too specialized? prior to law school, i was an administrative assistant for five years. other than being a lawyer and a receptionist, what can i do?

i also recognize that i may just be too stubborn to admit defeat. i mean, i decided to become a lawyer. i've made it through - maybe not so gracefully, but successfully at the least - the three years of hazing i often feel like law school is, have worked really hard and learned a lot, have incurred an obscene amount of debt, and am forcing myself through to the bar. my family has supported me, my friends have put up with me, and N. hasn't yet decided to drop me for greener pastures. so after all of that, there's a part of me that just wants to scream, "suck it UP already!" i'm almost at the finish line, you know? it's the deep breath, and i'm taking it. so why back down now? and yes, if i'm perfectly honest, there is a part of me that just doesn't want to disappoint my family, my colleagues, those who have put their time and energy into training me, and myself.

and finally there's the question of what else i'd even do were i not to become a lawyer. i can't think of a single rational, responsible thing to do with myself. i mean, yes, okay, i do have a dream job that you all probably already know about. in my ideal world, i'd be a writer. i'd spend my days working from my home office (which i now have! - will post about later), or on my mac laptop (which i will one day have again) in some cafe researching and writing. i'd be published, i'd be able to pay the bills, and i'd love every second of it. eventually, i'd use the money i earned to open a bookstore/cafe. i even have a name picked out, so much like an expectant mother, but i'll refrain myself from gushing. it just isn't reality, you know? how many people out there want to be published writers? millions. how many actually are? not millions.

i am a not million. i am a not million at my dream job.

but it won't always be that way.

so what about you? what's your dream job? are you doing it now? if yes, how's it going? is it everything you hoped it would be? if you're not working at your dream job right now, are you working towards it? or have you, like myself and so many others, almost resigned yourself to the fact that maybe the dream job was always supposed to be just that - a dream?

4 comments:

bianca said...

*sigh* I'm with you. A lot of it has to do with my fear of disappointing the boy and our families. If it just had to do with me, I don't know if I'd care so much. Though pride gets in the way too.

Call me anytime - bitch sessions are important!

Ashley said...

I think my dream job is still to be a professor who writes novels on the side. Working alone in a home office? I would be miserable. I know that. I need structure. Plus, I want to teach. But, I love to write fiction and I hope one day that I can get published. I'd also like to write about politics. But, I think full time teaching will be a my day job.

AHONUI said...

hey girl . . . well you can alwayz take the exam, but it doesn't mean you "have to" become a lawyer. But if you're looking for "completion," then yea the exam might be a good way to go out . . . but I think you're talented! You could always write!! Me and my sis were lookin online about Stephenie Meyer and how she came up with the Twilight serie: from a dream! She had little experience with books,,,,and now look! She has a cult following! (yes I am one of them)

So anyway, I think we get stuck thinking we "have to" go the safe route to make money. but there comes a time when you have to stop fulfilling other people's expectations and you have a to take risks to live out your passion. . .

as for me, my passion seems to change daily! first it's learning French, then playing music, then surfing, then writing a book. I'm easily inspired and after reading the first 2 books of Twilight I want to write a book! haha, anyway, luv you girl. do what you gotta do! You got the Quints' support!

ca_e_me said...

the fact is, everyone's scared. you'd have to be a robot to not be scared. no one can know what's going to happen tomorrow or next month or next year or [insert time period that comes after right now here.]

and the unknown is what frightens us most. it's not the monster under the bed. it's the thought of the monster under the bed. we let our imaginations get away from us sometimes. overthink.

i mean think about what literally the worst thing is that could happen if you decided to not be a lawyer. or not deal with law, period. and think about it in practical terms. because life doesn't just end after we make a decision. it keeps happening. and it'll keep happening even if you think the worst has happened.

because would you still be alive? would you still have choices that you could make? would you still have people that love you and support you and value you? would you still be able to change your mind?

nothing is permanent in life. sometimes it would be nice if there was something. but depending on how you look at it, the fleeting nature of life might be the worst thing about it. but it could also be the best thing. you don't have to be stuck doing anything. and yes, being forced to make a decision in life - especially a potentially life-altering one - is hard. duh. obviously. it wouldn't be life-altering if it wasn't and we'd all have really meaningless existences.

these choices are what define who we are. are what make us or break us.

so maybe what you really need to decide is: do you want to be made? or do you want to be broken?

Post a Comment