November 27, 2009

that's me, the glorified secretary sitting in the corner

remember a few weeks back when i went on that interview i thought went badly?  well, as it turns out, it didn't go as badly as i thought, because they called me back for a second interview.  then a third.  and then they hired me.

i am now an organization assistant (read: glorified secretary and all around office bitch) for a nonprofit that works for a very good cause.

the job started about three weeks ago, syncing up perfectly with my lack of blogging, and it has been hectic, to say the least.  my entire first week was spent prepping for a conference that was going to happen during my second week.  my second week was spent traveling to hawaii for said conference, which entailed waking up each morning at 4:30a.m. so i could work until 9:00p.m. that night.  but i can't complain since i got to spend some time with my niece and nephew.

this week, my third week on the job, was spent doing the things you usually do during your first week of work: orienting yourself to a new job, finding out where things in the office are, learning everyone else's working styles, familiarizing yourself with your newfound responsibilities, and trying desperately not to think of all the free time you used to have and how you squandered it away.

it's been tough getting back into the groove of things.  not only is the waking up before 9a.m. part a difficult and reluctant adjustment, but having to report to someone, and having to constantly be "on," hasn't been easy either.

i also realized something somewhat annoying about myself this week: i come across as very young when i feel nervous.  is this normal for everyone?  i just don't feel like i appear calm and collected when i'm attempting to be cheerful at work all the time.  and what is that, this need to be cheerful?  since when have i ever cared if people thought i was cheerful or not?  so i've been hyper conscious in the last several days about how i come across to my boss, who is definitely the most serious personality i've ever encountered.  i'm hoping that he'll just chalk up my nervous immaturity to having just started a new job.

i'm hoping to feel like i actually fit in sometime this year.

either way, i'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

guinevere said...

First, I'm thoroughly impressed that you prepped for and attended a conference in your first weeks at a new job - I get nervous when attending conferences now...and I've been at my job for a year and a half. Kudos to Kahea!

You're not alone on the nervous = nineteen years old phenomenon. I did a presentation in one of my classes earlier this semester and got comments from my peers and they said that I needed to "slow down" because it made me look nervous. Then I got to thinking...doesn't everyone talk fast nowadays? Do you know of anyone (our age) who doesn't just rap away when they're on the phone? The only people I can think of who don't do this are my parents...and grandparents, and aunties, uncles, etc. After this observation I came to the conclusion that talking fast makes you sound young...and immature (ugh)...so I've made it a point to slow down, and I've actually gotten better feedback from my colleagues at work. I can honestly say that I'm communicating better now. But really...when our generation begins to make up the majority of the workplace, no one's gonna care. Everyone will be talking a mile a minute with countless "likes" and "ums" interjecting into our continuously audible streams of consciousness. Give it 10-15 years and it won't be a problem.

Post a Comment