January 20, 2010

winter wonderland

[on a lighter note...]

with all the rainy weather we've been having in northern california in the last few days, i thought i'd do a fashion post on my favorite winter looks this season.  i know i'm a little late, since most stores and magazines are already preparing for the upcoming spring, but it's cold and gray outside (YAY!) and i'm going to milk it for all it's worth!
Winter look 1
true to my usual style, there isn't a whole lot of pattern in this look, but there is a whole lot of blues and grays.  my favorite thing about this would have to be the emu button boots, which can run you anywhere from $189 at Macy's to $40 on Ebay.  i can't afford them yet, and i'd feel weird buying them when, again, spring is just around the corner, but a friend of mine who came over last weekend was wearing them and let's just say it was hard not to stuff them into my closet and tell her that my dog ate them.  i somehow found the colossal restraint.  i also really love these ruth cross mittens which, some of you may have noticed, are the now-famous twilight mittens (you can also get look-alikes on etsy).  they just look so warm and cozy!  (other items: my favorite ever american eagle straight leg jeans which i sadly cannot find anymore, delia's peacoat, pinstripe tunic (got a great one recently at marshall's too!), plaid tunic on model, knit slouchy hat (yes, i still love those slouchy hats), zodiac necklace (or any long necklace with a nice pendant, really), and scarf). 

my second look is a bit more casual, something i'd wear on a weekend, or out to get something to eat or drink at night with N. and some friends (versus the above look, which i could wear to work -- nonprofits are pretty casual too).  i couldn't decide between three jackets and three shirts, so i put them all in.  they can be mixed and matched, obviously.

Winter 2
my favorites have to be either the purple tee or team edward tee (yes, i do honestly want one and would totally wear it out in public because i am just that cool), both from urban outfitters, and the vans slip-ons, which are second in comfort only to my old, faithful chucks.  i've been in a very "basic-tshirt-and-jeans-with-keds" kind of mood this last year, and this look totally reflects that.  it says COMFORT to me.   and for the record?  i hate jackets.  i cannot for the life of me find a jacket that i love and it drives me insane.  is it so much to ask for something warm and fashionable which will go with everything in my closet?!  (irrational, much?)  so i put these jackets into my look halfheartedly, not truly trusting that they would be as wonderful feeling once on as the other pieces.  but i'm willing to give it a shot.  i will find the perfect jacket one day.  i'm determined.  (other items: once again, my favorite ever american eagle straight leg jeans (would wear it with anything, really), red long-sleeved thermal (you can get some long-sleeved v-neck henley's from target right now for $12, i think), striped knit gloves, black bomber jacket, brown jacket, grey jacket, and scarf).

so as you can see, i've definitely been going through shopping withdrawls.  i'm in the process of making myself a budget and, in the interest of not destroying it before it even begins, my shopping outings have been cut to the bare minimum.  and before i realize how very pathetic it is for me to mourn my inability to partake in our overloaded consumer society, i'm going to stop.

more outfits coming in the spring!

2 comments:

Sophia said...

I like your taste in casual shoes! It bugs me when the spring clothes come out when it's still freezing outside. But, like you, I'm trying to cut back on shopping anyway.

Vicky said...

i looooove vans slip ons! they are like thee most comfortable shoes ever.

Post a Comment