April 1, 2010

project reconnect

it's no secret that, after graduating from law school, i decided not to become a lawyer and have since begun figuring out a life more satisfying on a road i didn't anticipate traveling.  it's also no secret that i've been trying to get my finances in order lately so that i can dig myself out of this debt pit that i've so successfully put myself in over the last few years.  these moves have all been part of a sort of personal project reconnect, in which i try to make myself a better, more well rounded me.

today i took the next step toward this goal and began exercising for the first time in too many months to count.  it wasn't easy either; i really did have to force myself not to call M. and cancel the gym outing she somehow (and i'm still not clear on how or when this happened) got me to agree to take part in.  you see, i hate exercise.  i always have.  i can pinpoint the start of these feelings to either my childhood, when i was the chubby kid who couldn't run very far, very fast, or for very long, or to my high school PE program, which has a reputation of being one of the most rigorous PE programs in the country.  so it really should come as no surprise that it's been a challenge for me to stay committed to an exercise program for more than a week or two. 

but i've got a feeling about it this time.

with all of these changes i've been making in my life lately (spending less, saving more, kicking my diet coke habit addiction, taking vitamins, eating steady meals), i really do feel that i can stick to an exercise regime this time.  and luckily enough, i have a great boyfriend who has been over the moon supportive of me (from cooking healthier meals, to being encouraging without being an ass), and i have M. -- my own free, personal trainer and close friend rolled into one.

today was my first day back in the gym, and my first day there with M.  and it was wonderful.  i'm even looking forward to going back tomorrow!  now that's a big step!  to commemorate the occasion, i took a picture of myself today (which serendipitously is the first day of the month, and quells my OCD tendencies that say i must start things at the beginning of weeks/months/years), and will continue to take pictures of myself on the first day of each month so that i can document any successes (i won't even consider the option that i'll fail) i make.  hopefully, someday down the road, i'll be able to share those pictures with you all and celebrate another goal reached!

my life has been seeing so many changes recently, and that's a scary thing for someone like me, who usually only embraces the changes i want and intentionally create in my own life.  but i'm learning to roll with the punches, and i'm taking this time in my life, when things could have completely gone off track into a haze of nothingness and confusion, and turning it into opportunities.  project reconnect is in full swing!

5 comments:

Sophia said...

congrats on the changes and on your good attitude about them! I hope you enjoy the process!

Aims said...

w00t! will you use the plan I sent you, or does M. have a whole different one for you?

Ashley said...

I swear that seeing you can change in one area gives you this optimism and motivation to change in other ways too. I just went running yesterday for the first time in a year and it felt so good. We can do this!

guinevere said...

Hell yea! Your "but I've got a feeling about it this time" comment lit me up. I'm thrilled that you had a great first day. You certainly have an amazing support group in M & N - I completely share your confidence and enthusiasm. Go Mands!

ca-e-me said...

you can be anything. i have never doubted that. so do it. just DO IT.

Post a Comment