January 25, 2011

When Good Things Happen to Amazing People

When I'm having a particularly bad day -- like today -- I've started trying to make a habit of celebrating the good things that are happening around me, regardless of how crappy I feel.  This may seem a little schizophrenic, but generally what I'm celebrating are things that have been happening not to me, but to the world I live in or to those I care about.  I think somewhere along the way, my world view has become a little too narrow for comfort.  Whether this is a result of living in a self-indulgent society, going through a quarterlife crisis, or just being a selfish person is anyone's guess -- although I really hope it's not the latter.  In any case, I feel like I don't often show enough that I care about those around me or how much their lives affect me in good ways, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if I took the spotlight off of myself for more than just a second on a daily basis, I'd find plenty of things to celebrate.

So in a shocking departure from the norm, I wanted to share a couple of things that have made me want to throw impromptu dance parties at various, and mostly inappropriate, places and times lately:
  • One of my best friends got engaged a few months ago and just recently asked me to be a bridesmaid!  Since then our chats have been full of pewter and midnight blue, v-neck or strapless, tea-length or floor, heels, wedges, flowers, venues, deposits and guest lists.  I've known her since we were 12, we went through high school together, lived with one another through college, and I still have a hard time believing that she'll be a wife soon.  She is the raspberry cocktail to my diet coke, the friend I swear I've known in a past life, the girl who fills my memory when I think of some of the funniest moments in my life.  I smile when I imagine her wedding day, how happy she'll be, how much fun she'll have, and knowing that I get to play a part in her day is just gravy.  So I'm celebrating you, Ku'u!
  • Another of my best friends swears that when her personal life takes a hit, her professional life soars through the roof.  And though I say she's better off without The Douche anyway, I have to admit that she's got a point because she is kicking so much ass at her job right now!  Currently, she's working at an indie record label and rubbing elbows with people I listen to on my iPod (yeah, I'd hate her if I didn't love her), and things just keep getting better.  Now, her dream job has always been to be involved in A&R -- to work that closely with bands and to support both them and the label in reaching their goals while listening to music she absolutely loves.  And about a week ago, after sending out several emails to various bosses about maybe getting a shot at doing just that...her chance has come around!  She is officially the A&R person for an awesome band who may also just be the nicest guys on earth.  So congratulations, Ka'imi!  You are just as amazing as we always knew you'd be, and you're giving me reason to celebrate!  Dance party!
I hope you all find reasons to celebrate as well, even if they have little to do with you and a lot to do with those you love.  And if you find that, like me, your bad days are only made worse by the fact that nothing in your life seems right or fair or like "it's going the way it's supposed to," try taking a step outside of your head. You may be surprised at how you feel when you come on back.

3 comments:

bianca said...

You. Are. Amazing. When I'm feeling crappy, it's SOO EASY to just mope and be all caught up in myself. Reading this was totally inspiring - I need to step back and celebrate the good things that happen to people.

Vicky said...

This is awesome. I always find myself getting all emo for something, when there is so much around me that can cause happiness instead. Thanks for the reminder that there are many other things worth celebrating.

Anonymous said...

u da fuggin best. thanks!

i honestly believe that what goes around comes around. just think of how awesome things will be when it's your turn.

:)

Post a Comment