April 4, 2011

Our First Place

This will be a short post, mostly because I'm sad and I don't want to think about what I'm thinking about for too long.  But it's here in my head and on the tip of my tongue pretty much all day, so I need to get it out somewhere.

In 2 weeks, Nate and I will be packing up our lives and moving out of our first place together.  And usually you hear about this happening and it's a bittersweet thing -- the couple moves out in order to move on to something bigger and better.  They think about their small, cheap place with tons of charm and smile over it, but they accept that they've grown out of it and it's time to make memories in their next place.

This is not that situation.  Our place is not small, nor is it cheap.  But it does have tons of charm.  It's our perfect first place: 2 bedroom, 1 bath, small-but-not-too-small kitchen with gas range that Nate loves to cook on, bay window looking out into the fenced-in oak-tree-shaded backyard that Finn runs around in, off-street parking, laundry, great landlord, great neighbors, convenient to public transportation, private.  Ours.  We've been here to for 2 years and have made enough memories here that I'm grieving now that we're moving out.

We're moving out to move back in with Nate's mom, to save money so I can get out of debt, so I can take some classes that I've been wanting to take, so we can save money to travel and do the things we've been dreaming of.  And while all of that is amazing and Nate is amazing for even being willing to sacrifice so much for me...I'm still a complete wreck over losing our first place.

It's silly, I know.  It's just an apartment, right?  But it's how I feel.