August 31, 2011

On a Little Hiatus

So as you may have noticed, I haven't been much of a blogger lately.  I've been reading blogs like crazy, believe me, but I feel like there's just been so much going on -- and so much that will continue to go on over the next month or so -- that it's left me with no drive to write.

And as a would-be writer, let me tell you, it sucks.

But there it is, so I wanted to address it.  I also wanted to give you all an update on the things that have been going on since my last post, and what I anticipate to be going on in Kaheaville until this blog picks up again (which it will, in one form or another).  Here goes:
  • After my grandpa passed away, I took a look at things in my life and decided that it just wasn't good enough.  I wasn't taking care of myself, or those I loved.  I wasn't pushing forward toward my goals.  I was wasting my time.  So I decided to stop it, and I made some changes.  Since then, things have been good, to say the least.  I let myself grieve (which is something new), and then I forced myself to focus on me and the things I wanted to be and do.  This is something I highly suggest, as it turns out.
  • My amazing internship came and went in a blur of awesomeness.  It's given me a lot to think about in terms of what I want a possible career for myself to look like and I've definitely got some planning to do.  Because I quit the toxic job prior to my internship and am still jobless in terms of full-time work, I'll be continuing on at the organization as a volunteer until I find employment.
  • I'm looking for employment.  And it's been difficult not to just apply for the positions I maybe know I'd get but definitely know I don't want...simply because I need the money.  I'm trying to hold out for something that's right though, something I don't dread doing day in and day out.  I just hope it comes along soon.
  • Does anyone have any advice about getting started as a freelance writer?
  • Nate and I went on a road trip from Lexington, KY to Boston, MA, with stops along Virginia's Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, Philadelphia, New York City, and Cape Cod along the way.  It was my first trip to the East Coast and it was bloody HOT.  I'm from Hawaii and we still don't have heat and humidity like that.  
  • During our East Coast trip, I got to visit with some friends in NYC who inspired me, yet again, to focus more on my health.  And this time, it feels like it's gonna stick.  I've been a week back from the trip and have completely changed my diet and have begun exercising daily.  I even signed up for my first 5k since high school!
  • One of the other catalysts for this health overhall happened in Cape Cod.  While there, we stayed at the Bluefish B&B (which I completely recommend a thousand times over) and our innkeepers had left Food Inc. in our room to watch if we were interested.  I've never watched it before, so I pop it in one night.  And I'm sobbing like, 15 minutes in.  If you haven't watched it, go ahead.  It's something we all need to see.
  • Finally, with my life sort of taking this new, unexpected and very welcome turn, I'm thinking of making some pretty big changes to this blog, or the new blog I'll create to migrate this one over to.  There are a lot of things I need to consider before doing that, though, including questions like whether I should move over to Wordpress, or what the main focus of the blog will be, not to mention its name...
So this is just a taste of what I'll be doing until we talk here (or on the new, as yet to be created, blog) again.  I'll still be around though, commenting on your posts and adding my two sense to the Twitterverse.

Until then.  xoxo.