May 9, 2007

the bay just sucks you dry

can we discuss how expensive it is to rent in the bay area?

here i am, puttering around on craigslist (successfully blowing off studying for my contracts exam), and i quickly realize that with the money N. and i are going to spend on rent if ("if"? i really should start being proactive and say "when" instead, shouldn't i?) we move out, we could just as easily afford a MULTI-BEDROOM HOUSE in another area. i'm serious. look at north carolina. and yeah, i mean, what's in north caroline, right? you wanna know what? CHEAP HOUSING. and we're not talking ghetto either. no, we're talking brand new ocean side or beautiful historic down town.

okay, so i'm never moving to north carolina, but that's not the point. go look up seattle. we could get a nice apartment in fremont (beautiful lake side boutique-y FREMONT) for cheaper than it is to get an apartment in the middle of OAKLAND!

and we have this offer from N.'s mom. she wants N. to keep living at home for the first year of grad school so he can save money. if he does, he doesn't have to pay any rent. in additional (i guess it's "if i agree"), i don't have to pay utilities anymore. how's that for incentive, right? and it is great here (dog, family, nice house, low rent), but i moved out of my mom's house a long time ago, you know? i guess i'm just ready to move out of my boyfriend's mom's house too.

but that would be so much easier if i wasn't living in the most expensive area in the damn country.

so here you go USF, here's most of my money. and oakland? you can just have the rest.

*sigh* who am i kidding, i just really want to decorate something...

1 comment:

Julia said...

Amanda!! How are you! How is law school!?

I know how you feel... I am in an apartment that is a STEAL, and I pay over $800 a month for one bedroom 10 X 12, in a 3-bedroom apartment. It is about the biggest Steal in the city, and only because its Columbia Apartment Housing.

When I moved to SF, I became a live-in nanny, and that worked for having the huge beautiful living space, but same issues as at Nate's mom's... Not your own place.

Best advice I can offer is to move in to a room in a place, or look in Bernal Heights, or somewhere slightly South.

Good luck! Keep me posted! Say hello to Nate for me!

Post a Comment