February 10, 2009

vampire mania

so my bff twittered something earlier today (has twitter been verbed yet?) that i'm 100% sure she knew i would freak out about. here's the link.

my (very erratic and over-the-top) thoughts: now, for some reason or the other, i have always been obsessed with books about vampires and witches and werewolves, etc. (although, oddly enough, i could never really get into anne rice...maybe i'll try again?). and that obsession is reflected in my writing as well. most of my ideas and stories are in some way, shape or form about one of (or all of) those three things. fairies fascinate me. myth and legend grab me. forbidden love, magical powers, morality and crossed lines. they all have absolutely wrecked me for many other genres. what can i say, i love and live for fantasy.

so when i found l.j. smith in the seventh grade, i died. it was like finding a treasure chest where my friends and i could just get lost and stay lost for as long as we wanted. we came up with cast lists, soundtracks, fanfics, you name it, we did it. the secret circle. night world. the forbidden game. and yes, the vampire diaries.

so last fall, when my sister visited me and spent practically the ENTIRE time she was here reading a stupid book called twilight, i was like "what the hell, man?!" and then she told me i had to read it.

i'm going to be honest right now and say that i had absolutely no desire to ever pick up twilight. i thought that it was going to be absolute crap, and i had already read the best teen vampire romance books ever written, and why would i ever waste my time betraying my loyalty to l.j. smith for this new author i knew nothing about? (yes, i've always taken books extremely and dramatically seriously). in fact, i bought a copy and then let it collect dust on my desk for months before i was finally so bored one friday afternoon, had had enough of both my sister and my bff telling me i needed to get my ass in gear and read it, didn't want to start another book that i KNEW i wouldn't be able to put down (which would screw my entire weekend), and so picked up my copy of twilight...and fell in love all over again.

so now i've made room for stephenie meyer and her imagination in my very exclusive little vampire world. she's in good company.

BUT THEN, the CW apparently announces that they're going to be making a tv show out of the vampire diaries?! shut the front door. now i have to worry about real casting, and know that there's a good chance the music will suck, and wonder how they're going to change/ruin a perfectly good forbidden love triangle story. and, come on, the only reason the kiddies today even know about the vampire diaries is because of twilight, right? so now people will compare edward to stefan. they'll compare bella to elena. and really, who could they possibly cast for stefan that would be better than robert pattinson?!

AND, i just realized five minutes ago that there's a new installment of the vampire diaries that came out TODAY. after 17 years! so now i'm excited and flustered. this is a crazy day.

lol. i'm sorry for those of you who don't really know me personally, because i sound completely insane in this post. but just try and imagine your favorite book series when you were a pre-teen, and you thought it was over. then you realize that, not only is the author continuing the series, but it's being made into a tv show! hell, imagine if, 10 years down the line, stephenie meyer decides to add more books on after breaking dawn, when you thought it was all happy ever after and it's not. that's exactly how i feel right now.


1 comment:

AHONUI said...

Have you read Laurel K. Hamilton? I have another vampire freak, i mean friend ;o), and this is her favorite author. Just wanted to see if you were into her.

Post a Comment