April 5, 2009

rules for writing

a few days ago, the lovely moderators over at 20sw posted a link to this poster on twitter, and i thought it was so great that i'd post it here too.


i really should take the advice. i don't write everyday, at least not for fun, and my excuse has always been that i just can't think of something to say everyday that i think others would find interesting. i mean, i read some of my favorite blogs and just wonder how these people 1) find the time to write such interesting stuff, and 2) have the time to actually live/experience/think of such interesting stuff. and i keep saying that i'll write more once x is done, or once y is over, and it just never happens because i'm the type of person who will always fill up my time with things to do. it's just how i'm hard-wired. and i guess now i just need to recognize that writing needs to become one of those things i do, and one of those things i schedule in time for and neglect other things for.

i also need to start taking a notebook wherever i go. i have a writing notebook where i jot down all of the ideas i have, but it's a composition book and is sort of hefty, so unless i'm going to be taking a flight somewhere, it never goes with me. but i think about this suggestion and know it would seriously help me out. i tend to get all (if not just my best) ideas when i'm away from my computer, out of the house, on my commute, on long car drives, and it's never conducive to writing things down. i mean, i've had to write things down on napkins before, and that should tell me something.

and what i really need to do is keep beefing up my playlist. a few weeks ago i started an "inspiration" playlist. i noticed that not only am i getting my best ideas during those times where i'm away from my computer, but i'm also getting it when i'm listening to music. always. i don't think i've ever come up with an idea without music playing. so i began taking note of the songs i had repeating at those times when story lines were just...coming. and now i have a nice (albiet, tiny) "inspiration" playlist going on in my itunes. so now all i need to do is write down in my writing notebook the scenarios that play out in my head while i'm listening to that music, note down what song it is, put it in my playlist, and type up the scenario.

well, there you go. i'm inspired!

i will:
  1. either downsize my current writing notebook so that it's more convenient to cart around
  2. OR i will just stick with the current notebook and cart it around anyhow
  3. begin listing down the songs i'm listening to that inspire me
  4. begin jotting down in said notebook the scenarios that play out in my head when i'm listening to those songs
  5. come up with a writing routine where i'm writing something every day

i think i've said this before (probably in my new years resolutions), and it hasn't worked out (along with a few other resolutions), so i guess we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

That looks like an action plan! The hardest thing about writing is just sitting down and writing, yet it's the only thing you have to do in order to be a writer. And, I don't know that it ever gets easier, but I think you can get into some good habits.

Post a Comment