April 8, 2009

who i am meets who i used to be

what i'm listening to: "come on get higher" - matt nathanson

there's something to be said about experiencing again the life you used to have and realizing that it was amazing. in college, i used to go shows. (and by show i mean a small-ish concert, of a certain genre of music - so i'm not counting the rolling stones or van morrison, or jr. gong, etc.). not as many as i should have, or would have like, or that many of my others friends managed to go to, but enough so that it was a big part of my life.

the showbox. el corazon. the crowds. the small venues. the stages. hoodies. chucks. tattoos. cigarettes and beer. amazing music. taking back sunday. the used. brand new. greenwheel. thrice. all-american rejects. ben lee. 30 seconds to mars. nofx. mxpx. new found glory. death cab for cutie. eisley. something corporate. dashboard confessional. the starting line. yellowcard.

more.

and then i just stopped going. i don't know why, but i know i've missed it.

so last night, for the first time in probably 4 years, i've gone to a show. B., who may just be one of my long-lost musical soulmates, and i went to see jack's mannequin at the warfield in san francisco. low vs. diamond and matt nathanson opened for them. and it was so just what i needed. jm played every single song i wanted/needed to hear. made even more epic by the fact that i really do think "dark blue" is one of those songs that helped me survive the second half of last year. we sang, we danced, we screamed at the top of our lungs.

we were in college again. can i be in college more often?

for K: jack's mannequin is my jimmy eat world.

unfortunately, my little digital didn't take the greatest pictures, so instead i'm posting some videos from last night that people have already uploaded.



5 comments:

Sophia said...

funnn! I want to be in college more often too. I like the new header!

ca-e-me said...

welcome to my life. i'd like to be more grown up sometimes. haha.

no really.





the starting line.
big le sigh.
i'm going to put my snuggie and direction on now. swoonytime.

Ashley said...

I like the new header!

I used to go to way more concerts too, but I can tell you why I don't anymore: $$$. It's unfortunate. Also, I don't have a concert buddy near me anymore.

shansPLC said...

OMG! I absolutely love the showbox, best venue in Seattle!

Ah, to be in college again...sigh.

AHONUI said...

wow they have a memorable "travel" type feel to em that I dig. . .Like you're a small spec in the night sky. Nice

Post a Comment