July 1, 2010

A Creativity Challenge

As the month of June comes to a close and the month of July begins, I can't help but think that it's the perfect time to start a project.  And as I mentioned earlier this week, I'm gearing up to take part in Ashley's Creativity Challenge and couldn't be more excited!

Now, I'm actually planning on doing two creative projects this coming month (a big one and a small one), but the small one is sort of a secret, possible surprise project and, because I'm not actually sure I'll be able to deliver it by the end of the month, I'm not going to talk about it (hehe).  The big one on the other hand, that I'll probably talk about ad nauseum by the time July ends and you'll be glad the month is over.

For this project, I plan on writing.  A lot.  I'm not going to give myself any sort of parameters on what that writing must be, save that it has to be creative writing of some sort.  This can include blog entries, writing parts of the story I began a few months ago, taking a stab at freelance writing, writing poetry (though I'm definitely not known for being poetic), hell, even writing a song if I feel like it.  What it does not include, however, is academic writing, writing for work, writing emails, and anything of that sort.  The only other parameter I will set for myself is that I must write every day.  It doesn't have to be a lengthy writing session (so "not having time" will no longer be a viable excuse), but I think just the exercise of writing something creative so habitually will be such a great thing for me and such a great thing for my writing.  I'm also hoping it will serve as the beginning of a good habit that will carry over even after this Challenge is done.

Like I said, I'm really excited about this and I think that dedicating a month to a creative endeaver was a fantastic idea!  So if you feel like your own creativity has been put on the back burner lately, I encourage you take part in this Challenge as well.

Below are the details, and you can read more about it here.

If you're interested in participating, here’s what you should do (taken from Writing to Reach You): 
  1. Email Ashley at writetoreach@gmail.com letting her know you want to participate.  She will list everyone participating here.  Help spread the word to other people you think might be interested. 
  2. Decide on your project and write a post on your own blog sometime this week letting us know what you’ll be working on.  Feel free to apply whatever additional rules or parameters you want to be part of your challenge.  If you think your readers might be interested, try to get your post up earlier so that they’ll have to time to prepare as well.  Please send them over to Ashley's blog so that she knows everyone who is participating. 
  3. Periodically throughout the month, blog about your project and the progress you’re making.  You may choose to share what you’ve been working on or just talk about the process.  There is no precise schedule, so you can share as much or as little as you want.  Like any challenge, you’ll get as much out of it as you put into it. 
  4. Connect with other creative people participating in the challenge.  Cheer people on, ask them how it’s going, and give them feedback if they ask for it. 
  5. Write a post at the end of July with your thoughts on the project, whether you judge it a success or failure, whether you will be continuing with your project or not.
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Good luck! I'm excited to hear all about it.

Miranda—Imperfectly Candid said...

Yay! Another person taking part in the challenge. Can't wait to hear what you accomplish. :-)

My project involves a bit of writing, a bit of photography, a bit of music listening, and a bit of reading. It's pretty broad.

Post a Comment