February 20, 2011

A Wishlist

I've gone quite a while -- relatively speaking -- without shopping, and this has been a huge accomplishment for me.  Shopping, as you know by now, has always been my go-to activity whether I've been stressed or bored or excited or upset.  The purchase of a new item made me feel better, it made me feel like I'd accomplished something.  But after the budget overhaul I've been talking about, and after some massive self-reflection, I realized how sad that was.  Why did I need to buy something to feel good about myself?  Why did I need to control that just because I felt out of control elsewhere?  Weren't there other, more productive and constructive (and inexpensive) things I could do to get those same results?

Well, the answer is yes.  And I've started doing more of that, and less of the spending.

But that doesn't stop the occasional want for something.  So, because I'm not perfect and I'm not a robot, and because I still like to buy things now and then (with money already allocated for that purpose), here is my current, somewhat strange, wishlist:

I am obsessed with Laurie R. King's "Russell/Holmes" books right now.  I can't stop reading them, they are so good.  So next month I want to spend some of my allocated money on buying the next 6 books in the growing series.  If you haven't checked them out yet, you should put it on your book list!

So I used to have an industrial piercing like this, and for some stupid reason I thought that it would be best if I took it out at the start of law school.  (Note to those who may be in this boat: it's unnecessary).  And ever since taking it out, I've wanted it back.  I don't know why, I just do.  So I may spend some of my March money on a piercing.

Since I've finished Stratejoy's Joy Equation and it now has a snazzy self-created cover, I'd like to get it bound and printed.  I think it's important to keep this with me as I go through the next couple of years of my life, so having it held together by more than a pretty pink paper clip sounds like a pretty good idea.  But I just never realized how expensive Kinko's can be!  It'll happen though.

This one's weird, isn't it?  I have dye on my wishlist?  So this goes back to the fact that I haven't been shopping in a while, and I've really been wanting some black skinny jeans.  However, after rifling through my closet and stacks of denim, I realized that I own a pair of unused gray skinnies.  So I plan on picking up some black Rit dye and turning those suckers into some nice, dark jeans.

Nate and my birthday is coming up (same day, remember?) and, since all our camera's were stolen when our apartment was broken into, this is the only thing on that specific wishlist.  I'm pretty sure his mom is getting it for us.  This camera seems to cover all our bases, since it offers the lens flexibility of a DSLR, but the lightweight and compact convenience of a point-and-shoot.

This is not on our bday wishlist, and I don't expect to get it anytime soon (or possibly ever), but I just think they're so cute and convenient.  I played with a friends Flip a while ago and didn't want to give it back.

 Maybe it's because it's been raining cats and dogs lately, but I really want a pair of Hunter's black wellies.  I had a crappy pair of wellies a few years ago that, even though they sucked, I was regretting getting rid of when I was soaked through my jeans and socks in the rain the other day, so I think maybe I'll save for these.  Because they're kind of nice looking, I'm thinking they could possibly double as just a pair of black boots.

Every single time I step foot into Sephora, this is the first thing I head towards.  I have never loved a scent as much as I do Philosophy's "field of flowers."  It's so fresh and simple and bright.  Love, love, love.